Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I can't help myself!

The raspberries at the farm are out of this world! I have eaten a pint of them a day for the last few days.

At the end of last season, the CSA members requested that the shares include fruit. This year rhubarb, strawberries and raspberries were planted with the hope that next year there will be a large enough yield to include them in the CSA shares. Theresa planted two types of raspberries, one summer variety which is fruiting now and one everbearing variety which will continue to fruit into the fall (which is a good thing for me because I am not ready to give them up anytime soon).

The raspberries are producing, but their fruit production really won't take off until next year. The strawberries did not produce many berries, which was expected, and the rhubarb cannot be harvested until next year in order to give the plant time to grow. In the mean time, it's a good thing you aren't actually what you eat or I would now be an appealing shade of pink.

No comments: