Saturday, June 7, 2008

Vegetables Really Do Come From Plants

I grew up in the suburbs of Maryland. I always say that I have no experience growing food and that all my food has always come from the grocery store, but that really isn't true. As a child my family grew tomatoes, raspberries, rhubarb and had pear trees. On the other hand, we never had what you might think of as a vegetable garden.

Around the farm I find that I am constantly surprised by the plants from which my supermarket vegetables spring forth. Broccoli for example. I never really thought about what it would like in the ground until I saw it. It is completely recognizable, but it never occurred to me to think about the plant before.

CSA members can take advantage of on farm pick-up on Fridays. Getting to come out to the farm once a week allows for the members to gain a better understanding of the life cycle of their food and the farm as a whole. In this way CSAs increase people's connection to their food.

No comments: