Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Seasonal Abundance

Before I came to Colchester I didn't understand the cycle of abundance of the farming season. Though I did some shopping at the farmers' market, I primarily purchased my vegetables at the supermarket. This meant that I didn't really have a grasp of the growing season.

This year by working on the farm I have had the opportunity to see the farm transition from early Spring, when there were hardly any vegetables to give out at the pickups, to summer, when there are more vegetables than we know what to do with.

Colchester tries to organize charities to come pick up food that does not sell at the farmers' market in Chestertown on Saturday mornings, but still some of the vegetables end up on the compost pile. Here their organic matter will begin to breakdown. The compost pile will be used to fertilize the fields next season. So, though it may seem like a waste, these vegetables are helping to ensure next year's soil fertility.

No comments: