Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Tomato Waits for No Man


When Theresa first asked me if I wanted to can this Sunday, I said, "That doesn't really fit into my schedule." She gently reminded me that if I couldn't do it now it wasn't getting done. There will not be an overabundance of tomatoes forever. One thing that farming is helping me to understand is seasonal eating. Canning the tomatoes now allows us to extend the harvest throughout the winter.

So, Sunday was a day of canning for Rachel, Theresa and me. With the tomatoes left over after Friday's CSA pick-up and Saturday's farmers' market, the three of us spent the afternoon blanching, peeling and canning tomatoes. Though canning tomatoes takes a lot of time, having three people makes it seem more like an afternoon hanging out then working. I will get to remember the day I spent with the girls later this winter when I am making chili.

No comments: