Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Veggies...what are they good for?

Only my favorite recipes make it into "My Recipe Book". Here you will find tried and true recipes like Spicy Black Beans & Rice or Old Bay Roasted Vegetables. There has to be something really special about a receipe for it to make it into the book.

One of my all time favorites is Brussels Sprouts with Nuts & Cranberries. My obsession with Brussels Sprouts came late in my life, but it hit me hard. I made them so frequently this year that they very well could have been a factor in the breakup of my last relationship. "What do you mean you are sick of brussels sprouts?"

A cooler weather crop that is subject to aphid and cabbage worm infestations, I have never successfully grown Brussels Sprouts but that does not stop me from enjoying them. The only hitch in my get-along is that organic Brussel Sprouts are EXPENSIVE. Currently I am stocking them on the shelf at the store for $6.49/lb. But sometimes a girl just can't help herself and so, despite the expense, I will bring home these tastey little morsels.

Brussels Sprouts with Nuts & Cranberries

  • 1/2 cup nuts, toasted

  • 2 tsp olive oil

  • 1 1/2- 2 lbs brussels sprouts, trimmed & halved

  • 2 medium shallots, halved & sliced

  • 3 cloves garlic, diced

  • 1/4 cup dried cranberries

  • 1 tbsp honey
    • Brown garlic & onions over medium heat in olive oil. Add Brussels Sprouts, cook 5 minutes. Stire in the cranberries, honey & 1 cup water, reduce heat and simmer approximately 7 minutes. Stir in nuts. Season with salt & pepper.


      ENJOY!!

      No comments: