Monday, September 14, 2009

Why Farming is Like Kettlebell

So it isn't very often that I get to get really good and dirty anymore. I never thought I would miss being filthy, but I do. When I worked on the farm, I used to meet my mom at Applebee's for dinner. I have never been so dirty in my life! Head to toe I was covered in dust, dirt, weeds and the occasional green bean that would have stuck to me. The looks people would give me when I would get there...

Anyway, since I have been back in Wilmington I just haven't had much chance to play in the dirt. I have gotten most of my exercise at the local YMCA where I am a member. Today was my first day back at Oakley Laurel Farm. (yeah! dirt!) There is no electricity there so everything has to be watered by hand. I used an old fashioned metal watering can to tote the water from the rain barrels to the crops. As I was walking I was sticking my other arm out to balance the weight of the watering can when it struck me, this is the same movement I use to stabilize myself in kettlebell class. Maybe I was in training for ultimate watering and didn't even know it.

According to Wikipedia:
The kettlebell or girya (Russian гиря) is a cast iron weight looking somewhat like a cannonball with a handle. Kettlebell workouts are intended to increase strength, endurance, agility and balance , challenging both the muscular and cardiovascular system with dynamic, total-body movements.

No comments: