Friday, November 14, 2008

Dirt, it's what's for dinner...

As part of the preparation for my spring vegetable garden I picked up a free soil sample kit from my County Extension Office. According to the County Extension Office:

A soil test is the only way to determine lime and fertilizer requirements for your vegetable garden or lawn.

Because the sample must be completely dry before it is sent out for analysis, I set my sample out to dry for a few days. When I realized that the weather report was calling for scattered showers I decided to bring the dirt inside. I put my pan of dirt in the oven. I was thinking that at least it was out of the way.

My boyfriend and I were going to have tempeh ratatouille for dinner, so I called home and asked him if he would preheat the oven for me. Without even thinking to warn him about the pan of dirt, I told him to turn the oven on to 500 degrees. When I walked in the door after work something smelled a little funny. We had cooked the dirt!

Needless to say I think I have to start the sampling process again.

No comments: