Thursday, November 6, 2008

Making a Plan

As I anxiously await the 2009 seed catalogs, I have begun laying out this spring's garden plan. I am excited to see what growing food on an individual scale will entail. Deciding what we will eat over the course of the season and the year is more difficult than I thought it would be.

Last spring ,when I left Wilmington for my farming internship, my plant growing experience was limited to houseplants. Now I have helped grow food for over a hundred families. Doing it for mine however is another story. I am nervous about investing a lot of money in the project and failing to produce many vegetables.

It is with my fingers and toes crossed that I head toward planting time. Knowing how much I fear a bad season, I can only imagine what it must be like to have my income depend on the land. There are so many things that can go wrong.

No comments: