Monday, November 3, 2008

Veggies...what are they good for?

Back in September, when I was working at Colchester, I gave out a Drunken Leeks recipe. Tonight, because like last week my CSA box contained leeks, I adapted that recipe to move it from a side dish to the main course.

Drunken Leeks with Sausage, Broccoli and Olives
  • 1 Package (5) chicken sausage links, sliced [Bilinski's All Natural Chicken Sausage]
  • 6-8 small leeks, washed and finely sliced [Oakley Laurel Farm Box #2]
  • 4 tsp olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed [Colchester Farm]
  • 3/4 cup red wine [The Magnificent Wine Co.]
  • 3 tsp red wine vinegar [Harris Teeter]
  • 10 black olives, stoned and sliced [Harris Teeter]
  • 2 cups broccoli florets [Casacadian Farms]
  • salt
  • pepper
Sauté the sliced leeks, garlic and sausage gently in the olive oil, stirring, until the leeks begin to soften and the sausage begins to brown, about 6-8 minutes.

Stir in the red wine and red wine vinegar and bring to a boil.

Simmer gently, uncovered, for 5 minutes.

Add the olives and the broccoli, and cook, stirring occasionally, for a further 3-4 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and it is ready to serve.

All in all I would give this recipe a B+. When I make it again, I think that I will use tofu rather than chicken sausage. The sausage had a strong flavor all its own that fought with the sauce and the vegetables.

As I make the transition to a more vegetarian diet (I am only eating meat about once a week), I think I am becoming more sensitive to the flavor that meat can add to a dish. Tofu on the other hand will absorb the flavor of whatever sauce you are cooking with.

No comments: