Sunday, November 9, 2008

Veggies...what are they good for?

When I was the farmer I didn't have a lot of sympathy for the members when they complained about receiving the same vegetables over and over again. Now that I am on the receiving end of a CSA box I find myself thinking, "Leeks? Again?"

One thing I will say is that while having assigned vegetables makes cooking more challenging, it is in ways more fun. Now I have parameters to my cooking. This week's box contained head lettuce, radishes, leeks, pecans and fresh herbs. That meant that I had to think of another way to prepare leeks.

Leek Salsa

Adapted from The Practical Produce Cookbook's Onion Salsa (p. 148)
  • 8 cups peeled, cored and chopped tomatoes [canned Colchester Farm tomatoes]
  • 5 cups chopped leeks [Oakley Laurel Farm CSA Box # 3]
  • 1 seeded and chopped green pepper [Oakley Laurel Farm CSA Box #3]
  • 1 seeded and chopped yellow pepper [Tidal Creek organic produce department]
  • 2 tbsp jalapeno peppers with juice [Harris Teeter]
  • 1/4 cup minced cilantro [Tidal Creek organic produce department]
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced [Colchester Farm]
  • 3/4 cup vinegar [Harris Teeter white vinegar]
  • 6 drops hot pepper sauce [Tabasco]

Combine all ingredients in a large kettle. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Ladle salsa in jars.

No comments: