Friday, October 3, 2008

How Much is that Apple in the Window?

As a farming intern I had access to fresh, pesticide-free vegetables any time that I felt a little peckish. If the mood struck, I could pick an apple or a pear off the tree, but, now that I am back in Wilmington, things have changed. Though I knew that food costs were rising, it wasn’t until my first trip to the grocery store that it really hit home for me. Organic lettuce mix at my local Harris Teeter is $3.50 for an 8 oz package, and that is on sale. I can eat that in one sitting! Then yesterday on my lunch break I decided that I was going to buy an apple and even with my employee discount it cost $1.51. I thought to myself, “How am I going to eat?”

According AFBF Economist Jim Sartwelle, “As energy costs have increased, it has become more expensive to process, package, and transport food items for retail sale. In addition, soaring demand overseas for U.S. dairy and meat products has reduced quantities available at home, resulting in retail price increases at the grocery store. ”
http://www.fb.org/index.php?fuseaction=newsroom.newsfocus&year=2007&file=nr0712.html

One way that individuals can lower their food costs is by shopping locally and in season. This cuts down on the fuel consumption associated with food production. Shopping at Farmers’ markets and purchasing CSA shares are two ways to ensure that your foodstuff is local and seasonal. An even more cost effective way is to grow your own fruits and vegetables when possible.

No comments: