Sunday, October 5, 2008

Veggies...what will they be good for?

Now that I am no longer an intern at Colchester Farm, I have to find new ways to participate in the local food economy. In order to continue my producer/consumer relationship (and to eat delicious fresh, local veggies), I have purchased a share in Oakley Laurel Farm's fall CSA subscription run by Robb Pritchard. Oakley Laural Farm is located in Castle Hayne, North Carolina (just outside of Wilmington).

The cost of a share is $200.00. For 12 weeks, beginning in October and ending around Christmas, the members will receive weekly boxes of produce. The boxes will be delivered on Thursday evenings to Tidal Creek. Members will have until the store closes on Friday to pick up their box.

Unlike Colchester, Oakley Laurel Farm does not offer its members a choice regarding the produce contained in its weekly shares. Instead, cabbage, lettuce, broccoli, turnips, kale, carrots, parsnips and herbs will be making guest appearances in the boxes. I don't know how I would chose anyway. It all sounds great to me!

CSA shares require that members become familiar with many types of vegetables, which is why the traditional Sunday post is "Veggies...what are they good for?"
Now that I will be receiving a weekly box of produce, I will have to learn to adjust my menu accordingly. Next Sunday after my first share delivery, I will begin posting what I made with that week's box.

Keep it local!

No comments: