Friday, October 24, 2008

A Special Delivery

Yesterday was the first delivery from Oakley Laurel Farm's CSA. The members' boxes were delivered to Tidal Creek for pickup. Unlike Colchester, Oakley Laurel Farm does not allow its members to select the content of our boxes. Instead, the boxes are packed on the farm and each member receives a box containing the same produce. In our first boxes we received leeks, an onion, radishes, a head of lettuce. a turnip, a pear and pecans. Not a bad haul. The pecans and the pear will make a lively addition to tonight's salad.

Anyone who knows me knows that I don't have a lot of experience in the kitchen. One reason that I like the idea of receiving a CSA box is that it forces me to try out new recipes instead of sticking to the same tried and true salad that I have been making for the last several years. Salad, along with a couple of pasta dishes and a very basic stir-fry thrown into the mix, accounts for 99% of my dinners.

This morning I happily paged through some of my cookbooks to see what recipes I might like to try out using ingredients from my box. This weekend I will be making Cream of Potato and Leek Soup with the leeks from Oakley Laurel Farm and potatoes which I brought back with me from Colchester. Please check Sunday's post, Veggies...what are they good for?, if you are interested in the recipe and/or the results.

No comments: