Sunday, October 26, 2008

Veggies...what are they good for?

Cream of Leek and Potato Soup

From The Wilson Farm Country Cookbook: Recipes from New England's Favorite Farm Stand:

Serves 8

Wash the leeks thoroughly before you start, because sandy soup isn't very appetizing. This soup, whether hot or cold (vichyssoise) is so delicious. I'm probably in the minority, but I like it better hot [As an aside, so do I. In my opinion this is a thick winter soup and should be served hot] .
  • 3 tablespoons butter [Organic Valley]
  • 6 cups sliced leeks (5 to 6 white part only) [Oakley Laurel Farm's CSA Box #1]
  • 3/4 cups coarsely chopped onion [Oakley Laurel Farm's CSA Box # 1]
  • 4 cups peeled, 1/2 inch-diced white potatoes [Colchester Farm]
  • 1 teaspoon salt [Morton's Sea Salt]
  • 1 1/2 cups heavy cream [Maple View Farm (a local dairy servicing the Co-op)]
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper (optional)
Melt the butter in a 4-quart pot. Add the leeks and onion and cook for about 5 minutes or until they are wilted but not brown.

Add the potatoes, broth and salt and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 to 30 minutes or until the vegetables are very tender.

Puree in small batches in a blender or food processor, or press through a sieve.

Return the puree to the pan, and stir in the cream and pepper. Add salt if necessary. Heat gently. This soup may be chilled, but check the seasoning just before serving (p. 52).

I found this recipe particularly appealing because it incorporates Colchester and Oakley Laurel Farms. Making this soup I was able to use the last of my Colchester potatoes and my first CSA box from Oakley Laurel Farm, literally blending the two experiences together.

I licked the spoon and it tastes great to me, but the real test will be when my boyfriend and his friends try it. I will be handing it out over the course of the next few days. I will keep you posted....

No comments: